Block paving has become increasingly popular in recent years and for good reason. The uses of block paving are numerous, from creating beautiful driveways to enhancing outdoor spaces. This versatile material can be used to do an excellent job of transforming any area into an aesthetically pleasing and functional space. Blocks pavers are also known as brick paving and are available in various shapes, sizes, and colours, making it easy to create unique designs that suit your needs. In this blog, we will explore the different uses of block paving and why it is an excellent choice for your next outdoor project.
What are the various types of block paving materials and how are they used?
Block paving materials are commonly used for constructing driveways, pathways, and patios. They are available in different types of materials, each with its special characteristics and aesthetic appeal. Here are some of the most popular types of block paving materials:
Concrete blocks are a widely used and affordable option for block paving. They come in various shapes, sizes, and colours. Concrete blocks are durable and easy to maintain, making them suitable for heavy traffic areas. They can be laid in different patterns, including a 90 degree herringbone, where the blocks are arranged in a staggered pattern at a 90-degree angle. This pattern provides excellent stability and interlocking of the blocks.
Clay bricks offer a classic and timeless look. They are made from natural clay and are known for their vibrant colours and durability. Clay bricks can withstand harsh weather conditions and are often used in traditional or rustic settings. Similar to concrete blocks, clay bricks can be laid in a 90 degree herringbone pattern, creating a visually appealing and sturdy surface.
Natural stone blocks, such as granite, sandstone, or limestone, provide a luxurious and elegant appearance. They are available in different finishes, including tumbled, honed, or textured. Natural stone blocks are highly durable and add a touch of sophistication to outdoor spaces. While natural stone blocks can be laid in various patterns, a 90 degree stretcher bond pattern is commonly used. This pattern involves aligning the blocks in a straight line, with each row offset by half the length of the block.
Porcelain pavers are a newer option for block paving. They are made from high-quality porcelain and offer a range of colours, textures, and patterns. Porcelain pavers are resistant to stains, scratches, and fading.
This type of block paving is commonly used for driveways, pathways, or outdoor recreational areas. It can be laid in various patterns or designs, including curves and circles, to add visual interest.
Rubber pavers are made from recycled rubber tires, making them an eco-friendly option. They are durable, slip-resistant, and shock-absorbent, making them suitable for areas that require safety and comfort, such as playgrounds or sports courts.
When using block paving materials, they are typically laid on a prepared and levelled base, such as compacted sand or crushed stone. The blocks are interlocked or arranged in a desired pattern, such as 90 degree herringbone, 90 degree grid, or stretcher bond. Jointing material, such as sand or polymeric sand, is often used to fill the gaps between the blocks, ensuring stability and preventing weed growth.
What are the advantages of using block paving?
When it comes to paving, block paving has many advantages.
- One of the most noticeable is its durability. Because each block is individually placed and sealed with dried sand, they are able to withstand pressure and last much longer than other types of pavement.
- It’s also highly versatile, allowing you to create unique designs in a variety of shapes and patterns. The most common patterns include the herringbone pattern and 90-degree angle blocks. But, you can also opt for custom patterns to make your outdoor space stand out even more.
- As well as being practical, block paving is also visually appealing. With a wide range of colours and textures available, you can easily find a style that suits your home perfectly. If you’re looking for a paving solution that looks great and will last for years to come, block paving is a great choice.
What are some factors to consider when choosing the right paving material?
When choosing the right block paving material, there are several factors to consider.
- Firstly, think about the size and shape of the space you’re paving. This will determine whether individual blocks or pre-made stones are most suitable for your project.
- The climate in your area is also an important factor. If you live in a region that experiences extreme weather conditions, then you’ll want to make sure that your paving material is able to withstand these conditions. Brick pavers, for example, can withstand extreme temperatures better than concrete pavers and are therefore a great choice for areas with hot summers and cold winters.
- It’s also important to consider who will be doing the paving job. If you don’t have any experience with block paving, it’s always recommended to hire a professional paving contractor. They will have the necessary experience and know-how to get the job done right. They will also be able to advise you on the best type of block paving material for your project. They will also provide you with peace of mind that the job is done correctly.
How do you maintain block paving?
Maintaining block paving is relatively easy to do.
- You can keep your paving looking good by making sure to clean it regularly. You can use a pressure washer, detergent or bleach solution. This will help get rid of any dirt or debris that may have built up over time.
- It’s also important to seal the blocks every year. It will protect them from wear and tear and UV rays from the sun. Regularly inspect any retaining wall near the paver area for signs of damage to quickly make any necessary repairs.
- Lastly, if you want your block paving to look great all year round, take some time to get to know the area. Trim back any plants or bushes growing near the paving area. This is to avoid any damage caused by overhanging branches. With these simple steps, you can ensure that your block paving will look great for many years to come.
To summarize, block paving is a great choice for anyone looking for a durable, cost-effective and visually appealing pavement solution. With its highly versatile design, you can create unique patterns that will make your outdoor space stand out. It’s important to hire an experienced paving contractor who has years of experience in this area and pays attention to detail to get the best results. With regular cleaning and maintenance, you can ensure that your block paving looks great for many years to come.
Here at A Bargain Gardener, we offer a wide range of block paving services and highly recommend them for achieving a great job. Contact us today to find out more about how we can help you get the perfect paving job done!